King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain are heading to Germany for the State visit. The Royal couple is visiting Germany at the invitation of German President, Frank-Walter Steinmeier. They will be accompanied by Minister for Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation, José Manuel Albares, the Minister for Industry, Trade and Tourism, Reyes Maroto, and the Minister for Culture and Sport, Miquel Iceta.
This is King Felipe and Queen Letizia’s second official visit to Germany. They first visited the country in December 2014 for two days just after 5 months of Felipe’s accession to the throne. So far we have the following information regarding their schedule in Germany:
- Departure from Madrid – King Felipe and Queen Letizia will receive the traditional Military send-off before leaving for Berlin.
- Arrival in Berlin – The Royal couple will be received by the Spanish Ambassador to Germany, Ricardo Martínez, at the Spanish Embassy.
- Official Welcome – King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain will be officially received by Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and First Lady Elke Büdenbender at the Bellevue Palace with Military Honours.
- Bilateral Meetings – The King will be hosting various bilateral meetings with the President and German authorities.
- State Banquet – The President and First Lady will be hosting a state banquet in the honour of Spanish King and Queen. Given the past precedent set by Queen Letizia during a state visit to republic countries, I am not expecting The Queen to be wearing a tiara at the banquet.
- Business Breakfast – King Felipe will attend a business breakfast while Queen Letizia will join First Lady Elke Büdenbenderfor for a visit to the exhibition “Escribir todos sus nombres” from the collection of the Helga de Alvear Museum in the Palais Populaire. Helga de Alvear is one of the most important Spanish Galleries that holds the country’s most important collections. It promotes Spanish contemporary art. On the occasion of Spain being the guest country at the Frankfurt Book Fair, the PalaisPopulaire, in cooperation with the Museo Helga de Alvear and the Embassy of Spain has organized the exhibition “Escribir todos sus nombres” which means Write all their Names.
- Book Fair inauguration: King Felipe and Queen Letizia will attend the opening of the Frankfurt Book Fair with the President. Spain is the guest of the Honour at the book fair.
- Business Visit – The Royals will be making another visit to a high-profile centre – I am keeping the location hidden as Palace has not publicly announced this visit in their schedule.
- Cervantes Institute: A visit to Cervante Institute is also on the agenda for the last day.
I will update this page as more details of the visit become available. Stay tuned!!